Have you ever thought about what’s holding you back from taking your personal training business to the next level? Or why you just don’t have enough clients banging down your door, begging for you to train them?
Well, for most personal trainers it’s all due to the fact that no one has ever heard of them or their business. Building a top-notch fitness business has everything to do with the marketing you use.
So what do you do when you want to grow your clientele but have a limited budget? Get creative, that’s what.
Partner up with similar businesses
A strategic business partnership can add significant bottom-line value to your business without you having to spend a fortune.
First, make a list of potential business types that could make a good partner for you. Some businesses you could reach out to include:
- Physical therapists
- Nutrition shops
- Health stores
- Sports shops
- Fitness clothing stores
Once you’ve selected a business you’d like to form a partnership with, reach out to them with a phone call, letter, or email to gauge their interest in a marketing partnership.
Focus on how the partnership benefits THEM. For example, you could reach out to physical therapists in your area and say something like, “I have 10 clients I’m working with who could really benefit from your services. I would like to partner with your business by handing out vouchers and referring them to you if you would do the same for me.” DON’T make it all about you.
Follow up with the interested parties until you arrive at the one that best suits your business. Once you find the right partner for your business, it’s time to get to work. As partners you can help each other out in several ways:
- Display your partner’s advertisements at your location
- Give out vouchers to clients on behalf of your partner
- Use each other’s customer lists for emails and direct mail campaigns
- Hold joint events or parties to develop leads together
Post pictures, blogs and videos on your social media to generate leads
Social media is a free way to get your business out there so people can see how much fun your personal training sessions are. Show off photos on the marketing channel where imagery rules for generating engagement. After all, whether prospects are on Facebook or Instagram (or anywhere else for that matter), people look and click when they see images.
Take a look at these Facebook statistics:
- 70% of Facebook users login daily
- 75% of users take action after seeing an Instagram advertising post
Here are some tips on what to post on social media:
- Before-and-after fitness transformations (who doesn’t love those?)
- Special promotional ads
- Any videos honestly! When videos are live on platforms such as Facebook or Instagram, people are likely to watch it 3x longer.
- Make sure your phone number, business address, and website are all listed on your Facebook business page, Instagram profile, YouTube page (and any other channels) so it’s easy for prospects to contact you
Also, consider posting blogs on your social media. Publishing helpful articles can actually generate up to 4.5x more leads than businesses who don’t utilize this necessary resource, according to Hubspot.
Ask for referrals since 92% of people trust them
According to a report by Nielsen, 92% of people trust referrals from people they know. So you need to get your clients promoting your business to their friends and family members, thus generating you free leads.
How do you do this?
Offer your clients something valuable in exchange for referring people to you.
People are more inclined to do something if there’s an incentive on the table.
You could offer the following in exchange for referrals:
- Free personal training sessions
- One-off discount on membership fees
A referral from an existing happy client is essentially a FREE lead for your business. Plus, it’s a member likely to stick and stay if their friends are already exercising with you!
Here are some tips to promote your referral program:
- Showcase it on your website with a special graphic
- Promote it on social media
- Have referral hand-out cards (for easy promotion)
Prepare For Success
Clients like to have interaction with their personal trainer, being able to exercise wherever they are and get advice on workouts whenever they want. Technological options have made this possible with online coaching via mobile fitness apps.